We’re all for super simple recipes, and this one’s no different! This paleo frozen cherry parfait is such a decadent dessert and so easy to make. It doesn’t contain any dairy as we use almond milk and full fat coconut milk.
The creamy parfait is subtly sweet and finishes with aromatic coconut and vanilla flavor. The cherries give a burst of tartness while the crunchy nuts and seeds offset the creaminess of the parfait. This sweet treat is a wonderful combination of textures and flavors!
- ½ cup dark cherries, halved and pitted
- 1 ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup honey, plus extra to serve
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with honey and set aside.
- Place coconut milk, almond milk and vanilla bean powder in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- When it boils, turn off the heat and pour the mixture in a thin stream into the bowl of egg yolks, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat it over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Meanwhile, line an 8-inch loaf tin with cling film, ensuring it overhangs the edges. Pour the cooled mixture into the tin until three-quarters full and freeze for an hour.*
- After an hour, remove from the freezer and use a fork to stir the mixture (it should be slushy) and break up the ice crystals.
- Stir in almonds, pumpkin seeds and cherries. Freeze for another 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove the parfait from the tin and slice thickly. Serve with extra cherries and drizzle over with honey.
*The method of making the parfait is similar to making a homemade ice cream, so if you have an ice cream machine it’s recommended that you use it. Simply pour the cooled custard into the ice cream machine. When the ice cream is ready, add the almonds, pumpkin seed and cherries and pour into the loaf tin.