Countdown to Christmas has officially begun! And why not get into the Christmas spirit with some old-fashioned homemade gingerbread cookies?! But… These aren’t your regular gingerbread cookies – we use pureed pumpkin in this recipe for an added flavor.
Our pumpkin gingerbread cookies are paleo, gluten free, dairy free and vegan. They’re super healthy as they’re packed with nutrients from the pumpkin puree, almond flour, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg and other spices.
You can also try making a gingerbread house with this gingerbread cookie dough recipe. Want some decorations on top? You can choose from our regular icing recipe or our vanilla cinnamon icing recipe or use them both!
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp pumpkin purée
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup, agave nectar or honey
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Ceylon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp salt
- Put the coconut oil, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar and your sweetener of choice (maple syrup or honey) in a food processor. Process and gradually add in the other ingredients: almond flour, tapioca starch, orange zest, baking powder and spices. Pulse until the dough is well combined. If it is too sticky, add more almond flour and spices.
- Form a ball shape with the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and put it between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll the dough flat until you’ve reached 0.2 inch or 0.5 cm thickness.
- Cut all the cookies from the flat dough with a cookie cutter, use whatever shapes you like!
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Bake for 10 minutes until brown. Let cool before eating or decorating.
- Decorate your pumpkin gingerbread cookies with our regular icing or with our vanilla cinnamon icing.