There is no Christmas without gingerbread. We made a healthy paleo version of this old fashioned Christmas treat. Simple gluten free recipe that’s perfect for this holiday season!
This cookie is so fragrant and nutty. And the best part is the decorating! The icing and gingerbread go so well together. So here’s how to make it:
For the Gingerbreads:
- ½ cup pure butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup grated palm sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 egg (egg white and yolk separated)
- 2 cups finely ground almond
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Ceylon Cinnamon Powder
- 2 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- A pinch all spice
- A pinch nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the Icing:
- 1 egg white
- A pinch salt
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat the butter and grated palm sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the honey and egg yolk and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, mix the ground almond, all the spices, vanilla bean powder and baking powder. Once it is well blended, add the mixture to the creamed butter mixture.
- Knead the dough until smooth. Press dough into a disc and cover. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.*
- For the icing: Place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until soft peaks form. Add a pinch of salt and pour honey in a thin stream and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place icing in piping bags and decorate to your heart’s content!
* Because it’s made from nuts, it tends to change color and burn faster. Had that happen to me with the first batch!
* The gingerbread will soften over time, as it’s made from nuts.