These cranberry, lemon and almond bars will be gone quicker than you could imagine! Do some meal-prep for the week or make dessert for the whole family – everyone will love them.
It’s reminiscent of fruit cake – the tangy flavors of lemon melds with the sour cranberry and fragrant vanilla with just the right amount of sweetness. The cake crumbles easily yet it is soft and moist, which contrasts with the crunch that the almonds bring.
Sounds delicious? Here’s how to make it:
- ¼ cups coconut flour
- ½ cups ground almond
- A pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cups pure butter or coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cups thick coconut milk
- ¾ cups honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Vanilla Bean Powder
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cups dried cranberries*
- Sliced almond, as needed
* You can use fresh cranberries if you prefer – just add 2 tbsp of coconut flour to the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 6-inch cake tin with parchment paper.
- Mix together coconut flour, ground almond, lemon zest, sea salt, baking powder and vanilla bean powder together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together melted butter/coconut oil, coconut milk, honey and egg.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter/oil mixture. Mix using a spatula.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. Lastly, sprinkle cranberries and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and remove from the cake tin.*
- Cut into squares and serve!
* The cake is a bit crumbly, so be careful when removing it from the pan. It can break if you don’t support it enough.
Recipe taken and adapted from wonkywonderful.com.