This dessert has it all! It’s sweet, tart and creamy – the berries give a burst of flavor and fragrance to the dish, complementing the soft, sweet cream and spongy vanilla cake.
With this recipe you don’t need to worry if it’s your cheat day or not. This sweet treat is made without white flour or white sugar. The cake is made from almond flour, coconut flour and chia seeds – the basics of flourless baking. It’s also dairy free (if you substitute the butter for coconut oil), we used almond milk in the cake recipe and coconut cream for the trifle. Definitely worth a try!
For the cake
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil or pure butter
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
For the trifle
- 1 cup fresh blueberries*
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 cups coconut cream, whipped
- 3-4 tbsp honey**
- 1 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a square or rectangular cake pan. Line with parchment paper.
- Mix together the dry ingredients – almond flour, coconut flour, vanilla bean powder, baking soda, chia seeds and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, mix together honey, eggs, coconut oil and almond milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix into a batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Cool on a cooling rack.***
- Cut them into bite-sized chunks and set aside.
- To assemble: Mix the coconut cream with vanilla bean powder and swirl in honey.
- Spoon some cream into your serving glass and top with blueberries, vanilla cake chunks and strawberries. Enjoy!
* You can substitute the berries with any other fruits of your choice.
** You can also adjust the amount of honey that goes into the coconut cream to suit your taste.
*** The cake can get a little dry if baked for too long, so watch out!