Cupcakes and frosting – the perfect combination we all know and love. It’s perfect as a dessert, as a snack or serve it for birthdays and parties. Everyone will love these!
This delicious paleo cupcake recipe makes 6 indulgent sweet treats. They’re paleo, gluten free, dairy free and free of processed sugar. Almond meal and our Ground Vanilla Bean make a great combo for the muffin dough. Grated orange peel adds even more depth to the flavor!
And if you’re already going to make those cupcakes, you need to try the frosting as well! It’s made with coconut cream, coconut oil and tapioca flour. If you want to make a vegan frosting, just substitute the honey in the recipe for your favorite plant based alternative like agave or maple syrup. You can use this frosting on so many different baked goods!
Here’s how to make them:
For the cupcakes:
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup erythritol
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- ½ teaspoon 100% natural Summer Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, softened
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup raw honey or a plant based sweetener
- ½ teaspoon Summer Day Naturals’ Ground Vanilla Bean
- ¼ cup berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 320ºF. Grease 6 silicone muffin pans or prepare 6 paper muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, cream together sugar, Ground Vanilla Bean and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, beat in egg whites until mixture resembles a fluffy cloud.
- Combine almond meal, baking powder, orange peel and salt, add in the sugar and egg yolks mixture and mix well.
- Finally stir in the egg whites and mix until batter is smooth.
- Pour one spoon of batter into each muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 320ºF. in the preheated oven.
- Let cool down for 45 minutes before frosting.
- Beat coconut cream and coconut oil until smooth.
- Add in tapioca flour and Ground Vanilla Bean and beat until combined.
- Stir in honey and berries and mix well until creamy. You can blend half of the frosting to color it with the berries natural colorants.
- Store frosting in the refrigerator for 5 minutes and apply it on the muffins to form cupcakes.