These chocolate zucchini cupcakes are to die for! And don’t let the zucchini scare you – you can’t taste it at all. These cupcakes are dense and moist; the texture is almost brownie-like. And let’s not even start with the avocado frosting. It pairs so well with the cupcake – a delightful chocolate combo! Here’s how to make some yourself:
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ cup honey*
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Vanilla Bean Powder
- 1/3 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. thin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded and excess water squeezed out
- 1/3 cups raw cocoa powder*
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- A pinch salt
* You can adjust the amount of honey and cocoa powder to suit your taste.
For the frosting:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1-2 tbsp. honey
- 2-3 tbsp. raw cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a muffin tin or arrange cupcake liners on a baking tray.
- Mix oil and honey together. Once combined, whisk in egg, egg white and vanilla bean powder. Add the coconut milks, lemon juice and shredded zucchini. Mix well using a baking spatula.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients – cocoa powder, coconut flour, almond flour, chia seeds, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.*
- Place the batter into the cupcake liner until ¾ full. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- For the frosting: Mash the avocado. Whisk in honey and add the raw cocoa 1 tbsp. at a time, whisking after each addition. Pipe onto cupcake and enjoy!
* The batter is quite thick due to the zucchini. Make sure to squeeze out excess water from the zucchini so the batter won’t be runny!