This gluten-free apple cake isn’t your ordinary cake – it’s an assortment of textures and flavors! The scent of fall spices give way to this crumbly and moist cake, infused with strong apple flavor, made intense with the cider. The apples are soft, contrasting with a light crunch provided by the walnuts and bursts of sweetness from the raisins and sultanas. A perfect cake to have with tea!
What you need:
- 1 ½ tbsp raisins
- 1 ½ tbsp sultanas
- ¼ cup medium-sweet cider
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp flavorless gelatin powder
- ½ tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Raw Vanilla Bean Powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Summer Day Naturals’ Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder
- A pinch of ground cloves
- A pinch of ginger powder
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- ¾ cups pure butter
- ¾ cups honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 red apples, diced
- 1/3 cups walnut, toasted and crumbled
- Soak the raisins and sultanas with cider overnight, or a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 6-inch cake tin with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter. Whisk in the honey until smooth. Add the eggs one by one, whisking well after each addition.
- In another bowl, mix together coconut flour, almond flour, gelatin, chia seeds, baking powder, salt and all the spices. Pour this mixture into the butter mixture and combine.
- Add the diced apples, walnuts and soaked raisins along with the soaking liquid. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Cover the top of the cake with an aluminum sheet at the 1 hour mark to prevent excessive browning.
This recipe is taken and adapted from deliciousmagazine.co.uk.